A Critical Reflection on SIE2016 Effective Communication

Privet!

As this term draws to a close, I look back on the past three months and realize that this Effective Communication program has benefited me in more ways than I thought possible. Having been in the working world for several years, I have given presentations to clients, prepared proposals and held meetings with both superior and subordinate. When I enrolled into the Singapore Institute of Technology, I assumed that I was already fluent in communication- and how wrong I was. I am truly glad to have gone through this program!

Through the instructional units in the program, I have been introduced to many tools that I can employ in order to convey ideas effectively, in both speech and writing, when addressing various audiences. My favourite among them is Monroe’s Motivated Sequence, which is a five-step process of delivering a persuasive speech. As I expect myself to be presenting to clients once again when I return to the working world, I am confident that Monroe’s Motivated Sequence will prove useful to me when that time comes.

Besides refining the art of communication as well as improving my command of the English language, I believe that for myself, an even more important takeaway from this Effective Communication program is being able to engage in continuous learning through reflective practice. In this fast-paced culture of university learning, it is often so easy for us to rush toward the end goal of getting a degree that we sometimes forget to slow down and reflect on our actions in order to learn from our past experiences. Personal growth and self-development never stops no matter which stage of life we are in, and I will certainly continue my reflective practices even after I enter the workforce as an engineer.

Ike


“He who does not know how to look back at where he came from will never get to his destination.” - Jose Rizal

6 comments:

  1. Hey Ike

    It has been a great learning journey and i have learned a lot from you when we did our presentation. I hope that you will continue to inspire others such as myself in this learning journey in SIT and all the best to your learning journey. Keep up the good work!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Chris! Working with you has led me to learn from your good self; I believe you have the potential to excel and a little push is all you need, really. Cheers and enjoy your break!

      Delete
  2. As always, this is an excellent post, Ike, with clarity and conciseness as well as relevant insights. (I thought I had already made these comments.) I'm happy to know that you found value in this module and our activities. It also warms my heart to know that you see value in the reflective practice emphasized in this module.

    Best wishes as your journey continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your guidance throughout this program, Brad! Best wishes to you too!

      Delete
  3. Hello Ike!

    I like the fact that you are able to relate the takeaways from this module with your personal beliefs. Your determination to continue learning and improving can be seen as you brought up Monroe's pointers as well as reflected back on your overall learning journey. Ultimately, I believe that you will do well in whatever the future has to offer. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Masyita! The way you carried yourself with such awesome confidence during the presentation is also something that I believe everyone should learn from. May you continue to exude such qualities in your daily life, even after graduation! Cheers and enjoy your break!

      Delete

Please feel free to share any thoughts and questions you may have on the post.